So I’m entering my fourth year of being on college radio, first on WMBR and then KZSU, having started in December 2002, with notable gaps (Fall 2003 and Summer 2004). It’s something I think about stopping sometimes, but even when it’s a difficult time slot (Thursdays 6-9am, alarm goes off at 4:30am), I enjoy it. I missed it both times I was off the air so I worked to get back on the air.
I’ve done some fun things and crazy show themes in the past three years:
- Cohosted some crazy late night shows with Devin (of Night Rally) (and Farhad and Austin). I’d often do my indie show called Tonight I Will Retire followed by an old-timey/ field recording show called Maple’s Lament, which would stretch past 4am. Devin would say hilarious stuff (me: the phone number here is 253-xxxx, him: oh man, that’s a great number) and we’d generally be total idiots.
- Playing the entirety of In the Aeroplane over the Sea by Neutral Milk Hotel at about 3am.
- An hour of “crushingly beautiful music” (starting with the one am radio).
- an ill-thought-out attempt at “chamber pop two-fers” (from Matt Pond PA to Sufjan Stevens).
- an hour of indie rock songs featuring banjo (through Preston School of Industry, I think).
- almost three hours of oldies when I was so sick I’d asked for, but couldn’t secure a sub DJ.
- my patented 1/1/1 format show. (1 hour indie, 1 hour old-timey, 1 hour motown).
- a show I called “canuck goes totally whack on irish (and some cape breton) music in preparation for st. paddy’s day so break open a guinness or maybe a murphy’s and listen while relaxing with your friends”.
I just applied for a show (or two, actually) for the fall programming schedule. I’ll still be doing my indie format show, but I might be adding a 1 hour slot of a different format. I’ll say more about that later.